So I have spend all morning sitting in bed reading all of the blog post entries from http://www.becomingmisssmith.co.uk, during her PGCE year. Yes, ALL of them. From start to finish and I now feel so inspired! I feel as though I really submerged myself in her journey, the highs and the lows, and reading how she come out the other side has given me a fantastically positive, ‘go-get-em’ attitude for the week!
It’s easy for me, working in a school already, to trick myself into thinking that it’s ok for me to be lazy on my holidays…I deserve a break right? Wrong! Time is passing me by, and this isn’t about what I deserve, it’s about what I want to achieve! I’m more excited then ever to start the course, (despite a mounting list of worries) and this week I want to be a productive, high achieving pre-PGCE student…yep, that’s me! 🙂
So here’s my ‘let’s achieve big things this had term’ plan:
- I will soon be off to the gym. I’ve been on a health kick lately and I want to keep this up before starting in September, as I’m sure time for the gym will be a thing of the past! I’m a big believer that a healthy lifestyle can dramatically improve your mental wellbeing (give me some of that!)
- I WILL finish reading ‘Private Peaceful’. I’ve not been enjoying it, and I now need to finish it. I’ll go into more detail in another post about my full opinion of it, because there are lots of positive things I can say about it. I think my main battle with it is due to me reading it as a child and disliking it then. I wanted to re-read it with a fresh perspective (as it’s on our reading list) but I don’t think me and this book with ever be BFFs.
- Finish my desk. You may have seen my previous blog post about my plans to re-vamp my work space. This is still in progress, but progress needs to continue to be made!
- Organise my prep work. I’ve been battling my way through it all since getting my list of things to do. It’s being going well but I still don’t quite feel as though I have a firm grip on everything. I think a good to-do list should sort that out.
I did mention I have a list of worries about September. All of these fall into the category of worrying for the sake of worrying. I do that. I know everything will be fine and will sort itself out in time, but none the less lets get those out in the open:
- Will I run out of money? I have a great support system but I do not want to be borrowing from anyone.
- Will I have enough time for friends, family or my boyfriend? I have heard from NQTs that the answer is no, and I’m sure this will all be fine, but I do worry slightly that my busyness may push away people I love…I guess if they care about me then this won’t even be an issue, as I’m doing something incredibly positive for myself and my future.
- Will the commute be ok? Getting to the university will be peachy, but I do worry that I’ll be assigned a placement in Timbucktu.
- Finally, will I be able to hack it? I know the answer will be yes, because I do believe in myself. But, of course there is always that worry that I won’t! Reading of Miss Smith’s successes today has given me a much more positive outlook though. If she can do it, so can I!
So that’s where I stand today, eager and excited, but starting to feel slightly nervous about silly things that will no doubt work themselves out. So far this blog seems to have had the theme of mini-successes, something that I try and focus on frequently. With training to teach being a long and difficult road, focussing on the small successes feels right to me. On that note, here are todays:
- I ordered some Julia Donaldson books for my collection 🙂 I know I don’t need to order books, but I have been picking up a few favourites here and there. I love building up my own collection that will (hopefully) one day follow me to a classroom.
- Did I mention I was going to the gym today??
- My horrible cold is passing now…children really are ever so germy!
- Reading about other peoples journeys into teaching has made me feel totally fantastic.
- We received our timetable for September, hooray! It all seems real now and to celebrate I have laminated it (no I am not joking)
Well that’s enough for now! Hopefully later today I’ll be able to add to that list of successes that I got lots of work done 🙂 Fingers crossed!
‘Miss’ over and out.